Date:16 August 2010
Dear Secretary of State,
Suffolk Coastal District Council have concocted a Local Development Framework which dovetails exactly with the Planning application 09/0555 put forward by BT. Despite your statements on planning policy, specifically the RSS, they propose to use the LDF as interim policy to approve this plan for 2000+ houses on green field land right next to an AONB against overwhelming local opposition.
The LDF was agreed by almost all of the Councillors for non affected areas and opposed by all of the Councillors in the affected area. This is democracy akin to that where two wolves and a sheep vote on what’s for dinner.
You have power under Section 77 of the Town and Country Planning Act to call in planning applications and to either decide them yourself or to have them determined by an independent Planning Inspector. For the reasons below I ask you to “Call in” this application.
- There will be a significant effect on the nearby Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB and significant impact on nearby internationally protected sites.
- There are viable alternatives available which would have far less impact on the AONB and be much better related to existing built up areas.
- The proposed Greenfield site is specifically precluded from housing development under the existing Local Plan.
- In the last four years an Independent Inspector rejected an applicant’s appeal against the Council’s rejection of a planning application for 120 log cabins on an adjacent site. This rejection was on the grounds of the adverse effect on the AONB and protected sites.
- The inadequacy of the consultation process undertaken by the Council.
- The overall planning process employed represents a travesty of the processes envisaged in the Government’s Planning Policy Statements regarding Sustainable Development and Local Spatial Planning